Friday, March 2, 2018

Types of Word Puzzles

by Ian McGarty

In my games I use several different types of language based puzzles. They are all the classics you have probably seen before and enjoyed:
1. Ciphers: like the classic Roman Cipher. One letter represents another. These are often simple letter shifts along a wheel (all letters shift three; A=D, etc).




2. Codes: these are a method of encrypting and decrypting messages which requires you to somehow give the key to the players. These can be quite fun and I have used letters and journal pages I've written and given the players as handouts. They've later found evidence and a codebook which allows them to discover messages. I loved the Chained Coffin code that was done. The physical code wheel was an awesome piece to be created for a module. Michael Curtis and Harley Stroh made an amazingly cool and interactive puzzle for that Goodman Games release. They also touch on the tangible element; all players love to physically interact with the game.

3. Riddles: a favorite for all of us who first became enamored with fantasy through Tolkien's work. The problem with many of these is that we've mostly seen them. I create new ones at times. I do this by thinking of a target that matches a theme that I am targeting for the adventure or room (yes, Rocky's beloved themes come into play here!)

4. Unknown language: I often will create a language based on the pieces and manner in which a suitably non-IndoEuropean language. For example, I have used Nepali, Cherokee, Chickasaw, Yaqui, Hausa, and Algonquin language morphology (those little movable pieces of words) to create 'new' languages and words. The trick to creating these is to 'label' an item or piece of the phrase for the players. I will demonstrate one of these in a future post if people are interested.

These are the different types of language based puzzles I regularly use in my games. When using these puzzles, it is important to create a method of assisting the players when they get stuck. I often say that a puzzle is easy if you already know the answer. It is important to make sure that players aren't stuck for too long. Add hints, look at character sheets for excuses to give clues. If the system you're using has a skill mechanic, then utilize to give a bit more info. If a puzzle is taking more than 10 minutes, your players need help! Make it easier! Give them a hint. In future posts, I will cover a few of these types of puzzles and provide a workable example you could drop into your game.



Art copyright Patrick E. Pullen


No comments:

Post a Comment